Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sometimes No News is Good News...


Well it's been well over a week since I posted anything. Let me just start off by saying that I AM NOT SLACKING! :) The past week or so has been awesome! I have been able to talk to Jon every single day whether through facebook, skype or phone! Yes phone! He was able to buy a cell phone in Afghanistan which allows him to pay for minutes to call home. Let me tell you...what a treat it has been! I always thought I would need to fill these blogs with juicy details...however when thinking, I am happy to say that I can just write to share the joys of Jon's journey as well! Jon is staying busy and doing classes mostly everyday... and watching too many movies! We all know he is a sucker for movies! :) His original building that he was in recently moved him in the past couple days to another building where there is no internet. Sometimes I think what a bummer...but going into all this I imagined that I would not talk to him for weeks on end. I was looking towards letters in the mail (Dear John style). Jon is doing very well! He seems quite happy when I talk to him and not much is going on there lately...except those rocket attacks still! He keeps telling me that they are no big deal. However, while he was at the gym the other night he and his friend were leaving the gym and saw a rocket attack go off coming towards them. He said his only thought was to run like the wind! It makes me so nervous, but of course he laughs it off. Lately there have also been many sand storms. These are much like our blizzards, but they are so bad that the sun cannot even been seen for days. How scary. I recently received pictures from a friend of mine who was stationed in Afghanistan as well. He said I could share the pics with my students when we were doing our cultural awareness project. I thought it would be interesting to share the sand storm pic with each of you. The weather is hot, the sand blows around for days, and get in your eyes, mouth, etc. GROOSSSSSS!
When talking to him lastnite he said that he was looking forward to finding out if he was going to be able to fly an eagle plane ? and go to another part of the country to guard post while they picked up soldiers bodies who had passed away in war. How scary and how sad. I have to keep telling myself that he is a man and he lives for these kind of experiences. I pray each day that he is safe and surrounded by the protection and grace of God.
Jon had originally put in to come home in December. However, because of the abundant requests he was unable to get the month. Instead, he will be coming home November 17. This means he will be home for Thanksgiving! What a great way to celebrate this amazing holiday!
I hope everyone is enjoying our beautiful summer! Continue to pray for Jon's journey and a safe return home! As I hear, I will keep you all updated. Thank you for your kind words with the blog. I greatly appreciate it. I never saw myself doing something like this but I do it for Jon and for those who love and care so much about him! Please continue to pray for Jon's journey and a safe return home!

Love and Prayers,

Kristine

No comments:

Post a Comment